[K12OSN] SMB and printing problems

Krsnendu Dasa krsnendu at orcon.net.nz
Tue Feb 28 02:30:44 UTC 2006

I am having problems printing to printers attached to windows computers
on the network.

Behind this problem seems to be some SMB inconsistencies.
When I go to Nautilus or Konqueror I can correctly browse all the
computers and shares in the workgroup.
But when I type findsmb from the command line I can only see k12ltsp,
office and one teacher's laptop is shown 4 times.
It shows twice for each ip address (wireless and wired). My laptop is
not shown and one other teachers laptop is not shown although they show
fine in nautilus.
When I go to set up a printer using printconfig-gui I try to browse for
my laptop but it is not shown. Only the ones shown by findsmb are
listed. I tried entering the share info directly by that didn't work either.
I can ping my computer because I have listed it in etc/hosts
I cannot ping any other computers by name even though they are listed
under findsmb.

When I type smbstatus my computer is listed but it says $IPC whereas the
other computers say School Int before it. I am not sure if that is
relevant or not.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction to try to work this out.

I am using K12ltsp 4.2.1