[K12OSN] State Testing

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Feb 28 14:22:11 UTC 2006

What we've found in Maine is that not all web-based apps are created
equal.  This is primarily because many companies are LAZY and thus choose
to make a web app that requires Active X or some other proprietary plug-in
just to work.  So, yes, they can tout it as web-based.....but......only
with IE...or whatever.  Maine has a student information database called
MEDMS (Maine Educational Data Management System).....in which all students
are entered thus making online testing, Federal child
count....etc.....much easier  (supposedly).  In fact, when one kid moves
to another school in-state....a simple change is made in the database and
their record is reassigned to the other school.  Anyway....this project
has been long in development and in the beginning is was an abyssmal
failure due to the company they contracted with initially developing
everything using Windows tools and thus making it so it would only be
supoported with IE.  Well.....the shit hit the fan when many of us
(primarily Mac and Linux schools) went nuts!  What the hell were we
supposed to do?  In the end the company relented and agreed to port it to
any 128bit capable browser.  Anyway....next thing we know...the "Windows"
company can't deliver the product (after millions had been sunk into it)
so the State pulls out and is now working with someone else (or developing
in-house...not totally sure).  Now it's online and working (yes it has
bugs, but not big ones).  AND...it works with most if not all browsers.

Maine also works with a company called Measured Progress for the MEA
online testing.  This is another case of silly ideas and poor planning.
At least in Maine we have a choice whether or not to use paper tests or
online.  We choose paper as it's too high stakes to risk it.  The MEA uses
a Java based TDS (Test Delivery Server) at each location that supposedly
talks to the primary server at Measured Progress...along with a Java
client (using Java Web Start).  Problem is that there are way too many
points of failure.  Computers that sleep, (Students that sleep), broken
connections between the TDS and the client, broken connections between the
TDS and Measured Progress....etc.  Thus we've had some tests that were
never recorded.....etc.

What I don't understand is why we can't use something similar to Moodle to
deliver tests?  Worried about server overload?  Assign one server to "x"
schools.....or schedule the test so everyone isn't taking it at once.
There are a myriad of things that could be done in that manner.  PHP,
Perl, MySQL....have any of these testing folks ever heard of this stuff?
!!!   (Can anyone tell I'm pissed?)

*Stepping off soapbox*

vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us on Monday, February 27, 2006 at 9:57 PM +0000