[K12OSN] 6 local user accounts on server using NIS for 800 others?

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 18:21:03 UTC 2006

Well, were're up against the wall here, I think.

I checked to see if Photoshop 7 was supported by Codeweavers Crossover and
it was, but there is a problem running it though on our 3rd K12LTSP server
though.  (My art teacher help pay for the server... so I'm motivated to get
things going!!)

The problem that the Crossover technician is attributing it to is Photoshop
interaction with the .cxoffice folder through NFS.

I need to still have this K12LTSP server using NIS and NFS because it splits
its responsibility between the Art room and serving Library clients.

Can I have 6 local accounts on this server with homes coming from, for
example: /home-art   ???
Six users from /home-art would logon through their clients to this server
and would use the servers local /home-art.  All other users - in the library
- would logon normally (not knowing or caring that their homes came via nfs
and nis)????

Thanks for ANY ideas,  Jim