[K12OSN] Re: cups stopping printer

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Wed Jan 11 00:03:03 UTC 2006

We've used this strategy for quite a while. While I believe enabling an
already started printer is fine, I actually wrote a script to find the
disabled ones and enable only those.

Here's my "cupstickle" script which we run every 5 mimutes in a cron job:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/enable `/usr/bin/lpstat -p | /bin/grep disabled | /usr/bin/cut
  -f 2 -d " "`
(the last two lines above should really be on the same line, there is
only one line after the #!/bin/bash)

HTH,

Vern

RiE wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there anything wrong with putting this in the crontab?  :
>>

>>0-59/10  * * * * /usr/bin/enable [printer1] [printer2] .....
>>

> what if you run enable on a printer that is already started?  will
> that be a problem?
>
> For the minute, you could just do */10
>
> --
> roger