[K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to assault and battery on campus"

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Tue Jan 24 15:58:01 UTC 2006

All we can do from a school technology standpoint is to block MySpace
(and Xanga, etc, etc, etc.) - which we have already done.

If this is as bad as you say, the school might consider an assembly
where there is a discussion on blogs, etc. and how easy it is to forge
things on blogs, etc.

Just another issue where schools end up spending time, energy, and
resources addressing issues that should be addressed by other agencies -
or parents  But since the school in the "common denominator" in these
kids' lives, the school ends up addressing these issues.

Bottom line.  Block MySpace, Xanga, etc.

CYA.
.

Steven Santos wrote:

>Slightly off topic, but since I can't think of a group that would know more
>about this...
>
>A school in the area has been hit with a rash of in school assaults over
>things that have been posted to myspace.com, and specifically things posted
>by students claiming to be other students.
>
>Case in point, one student was contacted by what he thought was his girl
>friend telling him she had been sexually assaulted by another student.  When
>the girlfriend isn't in school the next day (due to a scheduled ortho
>appointment) the boyfriend proceeds to beat the crap out of the other boy in
>school.
>
>Further investigation showed the myspace account that sent the message was a
>complete copy of the girlfriends account, with a slight, and unnoticed
>alteration in the username (name1211313 instead of name121313) used to help
>pull off the deception.
>
>The school has had 5 or 6 other instances not unlike this one over the past
>60 days where assaults have taken place, and 15 or so that they were able to
>avert. Criminal prosecution in these cases is often difficult, as the person
>committing the actual assault is often also a victim, and tracking down who
>is behind it is proving to be almost impossible. I should also note that the
>myspace postings are taking place off school grounds.
>
>What policies and procedures do people have in place, or could your
>recommend to deal with these types of issues?

Jim Hays, Technology Coordinator
Monticello CUSD#25
#2 Sage Drive
Monticello, IL  61856