[K12OSN] Network Hardware Monitoring and Tracking (NHTAM) Project

Jon Spriggs jon.spriggs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:31:46 UTC 2006

Hi all,

A few months back I wrote about a project I'd started to monitor
servers using Ping.

I got a bit distracted with work for a few months, but got back into
the saddle last week and committed a few more lines of code into the
CVS, which now provides server pinging and NTP checking. I've bundled
it up and created a .zip and .tar.gz file with all the code in. It's
at https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=148300&package_id=163543&release_id=387193
and I'd be grateful if someone could check it out.

If you want to contribute, please let me know your sourceforge ID and
I'll get you CVS access.

Requirements are:
MySQL (Any version which supports INSERT, UPDATE, SELECT and MD5 - is
that all of them?)
PHP (4.0+)

Areas which need development are:

1) Security
2) Not all the "Edit" functions work correctly.
3) Better graphics/themeing
4) More plugins (e.g. disk space monitoring, SMTP and WWW server checking)
5) Testing facilities on *nix platforms (development was all done on a
Windows Machine).
6) Database management (e.g. minimizing space requirements for larger
server farms or allowing extended logging)
7) Graphing of uptimes and results
8) Alerting options?

For those who are more comfortable with Nightly Builds or CVS access,
please see http://nhtam.sf.net for more directions, or reply to this
mail.

Thanks for your help and interest, and I'm sorry it's taken so long to
get to this point.

Regards

Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs