[K12OSN] Attempting to Setup SATA RAID

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 04:54:10 UTC 2006

On 1/28/06, Steve Hampton <wolfravenous at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Seagate 120GB SATA drive with my K12 install on it.  I added
> a Western Dig. 120GB SATA drive and then rebooted, went into the
> Silicon Image  Configuration tool at bootup and created a RAID set and
> mirrored my first drive to the second one.  Then when I rebooted the
> machine grub comes up i choose the kernel and then right after it
> begins to load the kernel before the INIT version and it says
> "Starting Fedora Core"
>
> It fails with the error "IRQ 10 Nobody cares!"  and then freezes with
> "Disableing irq 10" to fix the problem I simply have to reboot, delete
> my Raid set in the Silicon Image config tool and then turn the machine
> off unhook the second drive and i am using the server now to write
> this email.  But I would like for this to work.  Below is the relevent
> info from my grub file if that helps
>
> title Fedora Core (2.6.12-1.1381_FC3)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1381_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.12-1.1381_FC3.img

Shot in the dark. Swap cabes of the two drives on MoBo. Reason: could
be that grub is looking at (hd0,0) while it is at (hd1,0)??

Secondly instead of making/adding RAID like this use mdadm after
parted on the new disk. Third look up the net for setting up second
disk for booting in case of raid failure on first disk.

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux