[K12OSN] Banding Together to Create Market Forces

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sun Jan 29 07:54:13 UTC 2006

As this list grows and as FOSS installations reach more and more
academic markets, we will be FOOLS not band together to create market
forces.  We just read Jeremy tell Paul "we just need a few of you guys
to band together and nudge us into it."  Rhetorically speaking, how many
of you need this program and have either written or now plan to write
Jeremy?  He just made it clear; your *market* feedback counts.

Guess what the Pearson sales team told me about running NovaNet on
Linux? "I am sure that if we heard from enough school districts asking
for it, we'd make it happen.  We'd have to."  Since he has only heard
from me, he is happy to see HOSEF try to make it work with CrossOver Office.

There are really nice, well-meaning, but overwhelmed sales teams all
over the education marketplace.  The need more money for their
commissions.  Now.  When you are the first to call, explain the
potential size of your sale,  and emphasize your need for their product
to run on Linux, you get attention.  When you are the 10th, you are part
of trend.  When you are the 20th, you may have just cemented change.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Executive Director