[K12OSN] v5 beta9 install notes

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Jul 5 02:45:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 12:00 -0400, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 13:23:47 -0400
> From: William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] v5 beta9 install notes
> To: k12osn at redhat.com
>
> On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 12:00 -0400, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us>
> > Subject: Re: [K12OSN] v5 beta9 install notes
> > To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
> >         <k12osn at redhat.com>
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, William Fragakis wrote:
> >
> > > Eric,
> > > I tried installing via ftp last night and my gdm is dead, too.
> Plain
> > > vanilla install using the defaults. I tried using yum update and
> > that
> > > made it worse as a bunch of cyrillic characters go across the
> screen
> > > before I can copy down the error.
> > >
> > > I'd previously installed beta4 on the same system with no hitch
> but
> > had
> > > issues with yumex so tried to do a fresh install instead.
> > >
> > > Also a lot of errors are thrown during boot - access denied and
> > services
> > > failing. Could this be due to SELinux?
> >
> > That sounds like the font server issue I had on my
> > laptop, /etc/X11/fs/config
> > was missing. I had a /etc/X11/fs/config.rpmsave that I copied to
> > /etc/X11/fs/config and all was well. (look for
> > a /etc/X11/fs/config.rpmnew
> > if you don't see a config.rpmsave).

Okay, perhaps my bad. I tried it again. I booted off a beta4 CD and used
the installer via ftp (ie I ejected the CD once entering the ftp info)
rather than the one from the CD. It works fine now (and I see
the /etc/sysconfig/desktop is properly empty).

Eric, hope you enjoyed your 4th.

Regards to all,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com