[K12OSN] Re: SMB/LDAP management with Webmin Users and Groups module (Peter Hartmann)

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Jul 10 13:18:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:41:02 -0400, Matt Oquist wrote
> Yes, awesome indeed. I'm very close to a drastic update to the
> smbldap-installer.
>
> * FC5 support is still suffering from the "System Messaging Bus" delay
>   (timeout of some sort) at startup, which seems to be related to
> the  LDAP client configuration. Anybody who runs
>  http://www.majen.net/smbldap/archive/smbldap-installer-2.1.tgz and
> then debugs the problem can let me know and save me some time
> figuring this out. :) * Automated configuration of fully-replicating
> PDC/BDC is almost done! * The Ubuntu client config won't ask any
> questions any more. (Wish I'd  figured this out months ago; it's not
> hard.)
>
> Anyhow, I'd love to help automate a Webmin configuration for
> Samba/LDAP and I'll be referring back to these notes when I get to
> that (which may be a while).

If you get to the point of working with the webmin stuff that would be cool.
The installer script kicks a$$ already.  Having a GUI management that was
complete would be awesome, only the bulk import part is missing for Webmin.
And there is no funny business to getting webmin to work, any user of any
level can get it going with the right info in the module config.  I can't say
that for most of the other options I tried.  Even though we all know the
command line works great, GUI management is a must for most admins.

I wish I could have used all of this.  However the day before I went live with
my "Ultimate" setup I found a huge show stopper that made me revert everything
back to where I started.  With my OSX machines using LDAP and auto mounting
/home via NFS, file types were not recognized.  All files without extensions
simply got stupid and OSX could no longer magically figure out which app made
them.  For my users here that would have been the end of the world.  Teaching
them how to add extensions to the end of a few hundred thousand files (thanks
OS9 and you lack of extensions!) would have never flew, even if they knew what
extension were :-)

However I did save a post I saw a few days ago regarding how to mount /home
via samba as opposed to NFS.  I want to give this a try, if it works I will be
back in business.

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this script Matt.  Even though you
stated before that you think the new samba may make this script a thing of the
past, I kind of doubt it.  Your script takes all of the know how out and just
provides something that works.  Even to configure the new samba I'll bet a
user will need to know to set it up.  So even if your script evolves to simply
being a single click tool to configuring samba, it will still be handy.