[K12OSN] Newbie Question

Eliot, Dan deliot at pylusd.org
Mon Jul 10 17:03:43 UTC 2006

First off, I love k12ltsp... just had to point that out.

I'm a newbie, and I've figured out most of this stuff (and learned a little Linux) over the past month or so as my students finished out the school year.  I've gotten my server up and working, clients connecting, etc.  What I don't know exactly how to do is the following:

At our school, students login to a networked Windows 2000 server.  They have a Windows network user ID and Password, and once logged in (via a DOS login script they run), a U: drive (user drive) shows up on their windows desktop where they can save work.  The U: drive maps to a folder on the Windows server once authentication has happened.

What I would like to have happen is that they can use the same Windows user ID and Pass on my new k12ltsp server.  If that user ID and password checks out via the Windows server, they can authenticate a session on the ltsp server.  Also, I would like them to be able to mount the same U: drive found on the Windows server to their LTSP desktop.  So basically, I need the LTSP clients to authenticate via a Windows server and mount a folder via the network.

If anybody can point me toward any documentation, tutorial, or software that would accomplish this, I'd appreciate it.  Once I get an idea as to WHERE to look, I should be able to take care of it from there.

I am a VB, Java, PHP/MySQL, C/C++ programming teacher, so hopefully all I really need is to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dan

----
Dan Eliot, Computer Science Teacher