[K12OSN] NFS?NIS

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jul 12 21:09:25 UTC 2006

> What would I go about doing so that Building A. has it's own LTSP
> server, Building B. has it's own LTSP server AND a central
> authenticating server for clients(mac/thin/pc/etc).
>
> And how would each client know which LTSP server to connect to?
> I see how you could subnet building A from building B LTSP-wise..but
> then how to let both buildings authenticate from a central SMBLDAP machine?

Subnetworks.  Let's say your main network is 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0 in
building A.  Put your building A server on that network and your smbldap
server on it as well.  Auth server A to the smbldap server.  Then in the other
building either subnet with an internal router or use a dual nic ltsp server.
 External network would be 192.168.0.x and internal network could be
192.168.1.x for building B.  The 192.168.1.x network should still be able to
connect to the 192.168.0.x network as long as you do not have firewall rules
set up to prevent it on the internal router (should be no reason to even set
one up).  Then in subsequent buildings you could use the same setup, building
C 192.168.2.x, building D 192.168.3.x, etc.

> And just to confuse a bit more...what if I wanted to implement
> stand-alone Linux boxes(with any flavour'd Distro out there the kids
> like)...and still have them authenticate to the central SMBLDAP
> machine,   and have their "LTSP" profiles follow them around on
> those machines as well?

Those stand alone boxes would reside on each building subnet.  Again, there
should be no reason that when you run authconfig on them that they would not
be able to contact the smbldap server on another network.