[K12OSN] Need advice on network setup for school

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 02:03:49 UTC 2006

On 24/07/06, kyle at caliberis.com <kyle at caliberis.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for opinions on the best way to set up new servers and the
> network in general at a school that I do volunteer work for. Last year
> following the untimely demise of the Windows 2000 Server computer that
> served as the DC and file/print server, we successfully configured a
> Fedora Core 4 box as a PDC to take its place.
[SNIP]

> I believe that my final solution will involve the following software
> packages:
> - LTSP
> - VMWare Server
> - Samba
> - NIS
> - Squid Proxy
> - Dan's Guardian

My $0.02 worth:
Out of the 6 wishes above 5 will be met with k12ltsp. The sixth -
VMWare server for virtualised win server - is also met but subject to
whatever licensing terms set by MS$ and VMWare.

Setup would be simple and quick with virtually no overhead but as
needed for user management.
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar