[K12OSN] few questions

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 30 21:50:30 UTC 2006

Linux is set up so that by default regular users can
modify all of their own files and environments, but
not any of the system files (including the /root
folder).  You don't need to do anything special to
secure folders from the students.

However, it sounds like you want to give the students
less freedom than Fedora provides by default (like not
allowing students to change their desktops).  I don't
know how to do that kind of thing, but I know it's
been discussed here before so you might want to search
the archives.
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/

In short, the default installation prevents any
non-root user from messing with system files or files
belonging to other users, but it gives them full
ability to mess up their own files...

-Rob