[K12OSN] advice needed: Moving to Open Office

Graham yorick at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jun 14 23:57:27 UTC 2006

Rob Owens wrote:

>One thing that grieves me is that the default font for
>OpenOffice in Windows seems to be different than the
>default font for OpenOffice in Linux.

The problem is that the MS fonts are proprietary. If you can, set up
your windows installation to use an open font as default.  I have mine
set for Bitstream Vera Sans.  The bitstream font set is open and free
and I'm pretty sure is in the default installation of most Distros and
Windows

> This means that
>if you switch back and forth between those two
>platforms when editing a document, the layout isn't
>always the same.  (This is due to the fact that some
>fonts fit more letters on a line than others).  I
>noticed this when doing resumes and other documents
>where I was trying to get the text to fit "just right"
>on the page.
>I'm sure there are ways around this issue, I just
>don't know what they are...

Having said the above, it is a good idea to make sure that your default
template in Windows and Linux are the same.
You can do this by creating a template using stylist to set fonts,
margins, page size and styles headers and footers etc.
Save it as an OTT.
Go: file>templates>organize...
in the Template Management window select a folder in the left hand pane.
Then from the "Commands" dropdown select "Import Templates"..  The
template you have imported will appear in the left hand pane beneath the
folder you selected.
Select the template, then from the Command Dropdown select "Set as
default template".

Copy the template to the OOo templates directory your other OS (Not
necessary but I think it's tidy) and repeat the above until lightly
browned on both sides

Cheers
Yo

--
"GET LEGAL - GET OPENOFFICE.ORG"
http://why.openoffice.org

Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz