[K12OSN] K12LTSP - How easy was that!

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jun 21 13:28:57 UTC 2006

> K12LTSP environment.  It's cool, but like all things related to
> Microsoft and other proprietary software, it can quickly get
> expensive because there are so many licensing costs.  I see rdesktop
> and WTS as simply a transitional tool.  As you become more familiar
> with K12LTSP, you'll find you need the WTS less and less.

It also allows K12LTSP to be a cheaper way to deploy windows.  In the case of
a normal Terminal Services install you would need either a local copy of
Windows XP or the like on your box in order to connect, or you would need a
local license of Windows CE for a terminal to connect, which both cost money.
 And you would need a terminal services license for every concurrent
connection to the terminal server.  By using LTSP you can avoid the costs of
the local Windows XP or CE install only needing the terminal services license
(CAL).

This same approach can be used with the open source Citrix client to connect
to a Citrix server.