[K12OSN] Logging Client Boot Messages

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Wed Jun 21 14:26:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, June 21, 2006 9:11 am, Tom Astle wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I asked this question to the LTSP-discuss group with and seemed to
> confuse everybody, but I think it will make more sense to you all.
>
> Starting with k12 v5 I started seeing the clients logging their boot
> messages to /var/log/messages.
>
> Is there a way to make this same thing happen in older versions, it
> is so helpful!

Well, there's not officially a way.

k12ltsp v4 is based on LTSP-4.1

the redirecting of the dmesg output through syslog wasn't added until
LTSP-4.2, which is what k12ltsp v5 is based on.

You could look at the rc.sysinit script in the ltsp etc directory, and see
how it's doing the 'dmesg | logger', BUT, the big problem there is that
the dmesg command doesn't exist in ltsp-4.1.  So, you'd have to go steal
that binary from an LTSP-4.2 system, and drop it in ltsp's bin directory.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org