[K12OSN] oldest feasible client pc? p166 reasonable?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 7 13:59:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 07:36, Shawn Powers wrote:
> light being wrote:
> > I installed a P166 as a client that for some reason seems ridiculously
> > slow, even doing odd things.
>
> Every teacher in my district uses a P133 with 32MB of RAM.  I have NFS
> swap turned on, and they have 100mbit cards (and 2MB video cards, 1MB
> just doesn't work well).
>
> They work very well.  If you have to use the old XF86_SVGA video driver,
> then OpenOffice menus are unbearably slow (at least in K12LTSP 4.0.1),
> but other than that they are very usable.  I haven't noticed any speed
> problems at all...

I'd expect to see big differences in speed based on the type
of video card especially in things like dragging windows
around which some cards do as a block move internally and
some require the CPU to do the work and send over the network
again.  However, I don't have any idea which cards are best
other than hearing the Matrox versions available back then
were good.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com