[K12OSN] re: K12LTSP and clustering (Edmond Wong)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Wed Mar 8 17:34:57 UTC 2006

> From: Edmond Wong <ewong at chinooksedge.ab.ca>
> Subject: [K12OSN] K12LTSP and clustering

> Hi, at work we have a few older machines in the range of P2's and P3's
> and no money for a server. So I was considering building a cluster to
> run K12LTSP. My question is does K12LTSP benefit from being run on a
> cluster? I've found articles on how to setup K12LTSP with OpenMosix or
> Beowulf, but no one confirming the results of doing it. It will
> definitely be better than running it on a single computer, but does
> K12LTSP scale well enough on a cluster that it can replace a good server?

At the Ubuntu Below Zero conference we heard a presentation by Ivan
Krstic, who is using OpenSSI clustering to serve LTSP in a Croatian
hospital.  I don't know what came of it, but it looked at the time
like Edubuntu may be heading toward making clustering available OOTB,
and OpenSSI was at least under consideration.

If I were to look into clustering LTSP, OpenSSI is probably where I'd
start.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/