[K12OSN] 64 bit k12ltsp Firefox fixups

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Tue Mar 21 13:27:36 UTC 2006

Hello List,

After doing my first ever install of FC4x86_64 /K12LTSP 4.4.2, I thought
i'd report on a couple things that will work in Firefox. I've read so
many reports of people not getting Firefox to work with Flash-plugin and
java. The version of Firefox that is in the K12LTSP v 4.4.2 distro is
the 32 bit version so this is a big plus. The regular install of the
common flashplayer v 7 that works fine on 32 bit versions will NOT
work,this is a bin file. Also the flash-plugin rpm that has worked on 32
bit k12ltsp will not work either.
To get flashplayer installed on 64 bit k12ltsp, simply go to a flash
enabled site-- www 123greetings com -- and choose to download the
flashplugin this way. After installing simply close Firefox , then
reopen it, and you'll have flash working along with sound if you have
sound enabled in your lts.conf file. Now to the java part. I installed
all of the optional Java packages when i initially installed the OS.
After that I tried to install the jre-1.5.0 k12ltsp & the j2re k12ltsp-
plugin as i have done in the past. No joy, I got the dependency **ll
routine. So I had to get rough and install both of those packages with
the "--nodeps" switch", which i do not like to do. There after i done my
test of checking if java was working in the web browser by doing webmin
then going to file mananger, & wala java is working!
Hope this gives some hope that were contemplating installing 64 bit as i
wanted to..

Take Care,,

Barry Cisna