[K12OSN] Mail data base

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 21 13:38:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 07:22, Thomas Kovalcik wrote:

> The school I work with wants to provide an email service for parents
> instead of sending paper home with the kids. They are looking to set up
> a database of parents email and being able to send mailing out to
> specific grades/groups (1st, 3rd, chorus, etc.). Has anyone found a good
> solution for this? Open source is preferred and I would love something
> that uses Open Office  as I still have some MS Office holdouts in the
> office.

Mailman is probably the most popular list manager, running a
lot of internet mail lists including this one,  It provides
a web interface for management and some user interaction.
Click the link at the bottom of this message to see the user
side and the link to archived copies. You can specify that
only certain addresses may send or that all messages must be
approved by the list manager.  You probably should stick to
plain text messages though, and just use links to a web page
if you need images or html because you won't know the capabilities
of the user's mailer.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com