[K12OSN] DHCP Conflicts

k12ltsp k12ltsp at hermon.net
Tue Mar 21 17:16:12 UTC 2006

Hi everyone!

We have setup autologins using the KDM at the elementary school, and I've
just discovered that the DHCP server is providing multiple IP's to
different boxes!

Here's what we did:

In the K-3 classrooms, since students don't have their own accounts yet,
we created accounts specific for each terminal. Then, we setup autologin
for the terminals in the KDMRC file as such:

[X-ws104.ltsp:0-Core]
AutoLoginEnable=true
AutoLoginUser=room6b
NoPassEnable=true
NoPassUsers=room6b

Next, we made a special entry for the Mac address of the terminal into the
dhcpd file as such:

    host ws104 {
        hardware ethernet     00:50:8B:4E:72:1F;
        fixed-address         192.168.0.104;
    }

Then, we restarted dhcpd and at least for a few weeks, we didn't notice
any problems until a few days ago. Now, terminals are freezing up in
random locations. It appears that the DHCP server provided a reserved IP
address to one of the terminals. Here is the result:

(From IFCONFIG):
HWaddr: 00:06:25:05:A4:D9
inet addr: 192.168.0.104

Does anyone know what we are doing wrong and how we can fix this?

Thanks!
Alan
Hermon School Department