[K12OSN] Xen in FC5...what does this mean for us?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Mar 24 02:23:13 UTC 2006

David Trask wrote:

>Hey folks....
>
>I see now that XEN virtualization is built in to Fedora Core 5.....I'm
>curious as to folks ideas and suggestions on how this can be leveraged to
>help us in K12LTSP......ideas?   Thoughts?

XEN has low overhead, but I don't see how it could improve what LTSP
does for providing applications to end-users.

The best use I can think of for XEN in an educational environment would
be on a server hosting guest linux machines for each student or team of
students to be root and learn linux sysadmin skills.  Each XEN guest
machine would be a sandbox a student could break, that could be restored
by copying a base guest system image file, without impacting other
students.  And it would not require dedicating a computer to each
student or team to provide them that isolation.

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #804005699817957