[K12OSN] Dual-Core opterons?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Mon Mar 27 04:27:43 UTC 2006

Brad Johnson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone have any experience using the newer dual-core opterons in
> their ltsp servers?  My most recent servers have all been dual
> processor opterons, but as opposed to spending $180 for a single core
> opteron, I can spend roughly $330 for the dual-core versions.  I'm
> thinking that two dual-core opterons would offer incredible
> performance in our lab of approx 30 clients.  Any thoughts or advice?

I have two servers, each running a single Dual Core Opto 270 since
september. They are rock solid and quite speedy, and if I need more speed
I still have an empty socket to populate. I am running them in Tyan K8SE
boards, I don't remember precisely what model at the moment. If you would
like more specifics, ask me off list and I'd be happy to share.

--
-Regards-

Quentin Hartman
Technology Coordinator