[K12OSN] OpenOffice Curriculum

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Mar 28 14:49:40 UTC 2006

Arrrggghhhh!   (Nothing about you Paul....just the attitude of the
computer teacher you mention)

"Teach concepts....not applications!"

I have no idea why this teacher (and I too am a teacher) feels the need to
alter his/her curriculum to suit and application.  Typing a document on OO
in 95% the same as in MSWord.  I teach all of 'em.  Abiword, OO,
StarOffice (I know it's no different than OO...I just intro that fact), MS
Word (via Terminal Server)....so in the end....the kids simply use
whatever is most available to them at the time (usually OO, but some kids
prefer the speed of AbiWord).

(this teacher would benefit from the "teacher track" at the Gould Academy
NELS http://www.nelinux.net   as we'll be discussing this very topic and
also working with and sharing ideas for lesson plans...etc. using Open
Source apps....regardless of platform)

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 8:32 AM +0000 wrote:
>As I walked in to work today I was approached by the computer teacher
>talking about curriculum and changing it. I asked what he was talking
>about and he had said since we have all moved to OpenOffice in our
>district there was talk of him needing to change his curriculum. He isn't
>very happy about that so I am emailing to see if anyone on this list
>would be willing to share lesson plans, curriculum or anything
>educational to help our computer teacher's out in our district. I can
>understand the frustration and am trying to help them as much as
>possible. Do any of you teach OpenOffice in your computer
>classes/district? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School