[K12OSN] performance issues

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Wed May 3 03:48:24 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Liam Marshall <k12ltsplover at stmaurice.mb.ca> wrote:
> I have a dual zeon 3.06 GHz server, currently with 4 80 Gb SATA drives
> connected to a MegaRaid 4 port raid controller set for raid 0.  I have
> currently 2 Gb of RAM.
>
> Workstations are almost exclusively IBM 300PLs which are thin clients,
> onboard video, sound, nic, etc
>
> They are a little slow when 30+ workstations all load StarOffice 7 at
> the same time, or when they log out.

Can't do much to speed up 30+ students all starting OOo at the SAME
time. It's going to be slow on pretty much any server.

The trick is to get the students to start OOo at slightly different
times. Like "okay this half of the class start now" then 1 min later
"now the rest of you". Once the app is launched the load drops way
down.

--
Robert Arkiletian
Fl_TeacherTool http://fltk.org/links.php?V269