[K12OSN] kernel-2.6.16-1.2107_FC5.i686.rpm boot problem

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Wed May 3 22:33:39 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, mrok12osn at eastgranby.k12.ct.us
<mrok12osn at eastgranby.k12.ct.us> wrote:
> Today, May 3, I (re)built another samba server using the standard FC5 CD's
> and did a yum update only to not be able to boot with the above updated
> kernel.  Last successful boot was yesterday with the 2096 kernel.  It
> hangs while bringing up the graphical boot screen with an "X" that moves
> around with the mouse
>
> The server is a Dell SC420.  I have no idea whether hyperthreading is
> active on it.
>
> Who do I report this to?

Not sure - but I guess I need to find out, too.

I rebooted my server this morning (Athlon64 on an Nforce3 motherboard
running FC5 in 32-bit mode), and it had some weird networking issues.
As near as I can tell, ICMP (ping) and UDP were working fine, but TCP
was not.  I rebooted to the 2096 kernel and the server was happy. I
suppose the problem _could_ be some hardware incompatibility with the
new kernel, since my NIC is an embedded Nvidia one.

I just rebooted my laptop (P4-based Celeron with Intel NIC) to the
same kernel, and it's networking just fine.

At any rate, it looks like your best bet is to post to the general
Fedora mailing list (go to
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list, join list, then
send message to fedora-list at redhat.com).

Calvin