[K12OSN] RE: OpenBiblio -- Non-Admin log in?

Bryant Patten opensource at whitenitro.com
Fri May 12 15:37:19 UTC 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 9:05 AM, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:

> But I was wondering one thing:  is there currently a version that has
> the ability for non-admin users (such as "students") to log in and
> search for items?  If not, does anyone know if that's a future
> direction for the software?

Ryan -

	I had a similar request from a librarian after I installed a copy of
OpenBiblio.  Have you checked out the (too small) OPAC link at the
bottom of each page?  This provides the capability to search the
catalogue without requiring someone to log in.  I think this library
has set this OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) page as the default
home page on the library machines so students can just walk up and do a
search.

	BTW - I demoed both KOHA and OpenBiblio and they chose OpenBiblio for
the simpler interface and ease of setup.  It is a small, rural
elementary school with ~250 students.  Koha is great but it seems to
really shine in a multi-branch installation.

Bryant
White Nitro, LLC