[K12OSN] Re: K12LTSP 5B6-32bit query [Caveat Emptor]

John T. Leonard johnny at msad41.us
Mon May 15 17:35:55 UTC 2006

Hello Eric,
Just jumping in here...I couldn't boot either pc or ppc clients until I shut off
the firewall (I disabled selinux on the install)...The process would hang on the
"tftp" part of the boot process....I did a straight K12LTSP install and nothing
else...not sure why it's affecting the K12 side of the networking but apparently
is.....eth0 and eth1 are on the correct cards and I don't recall having any
problems with card recognition after the install....
Anyhow, after shutting off the firewall all clients are booting fine except my
Ibooks need the xserver specified...hope this helps...J

Quoting Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us>:

> Interesting. I've beat up DHCP on my test installs and have not seen a
> problem.
>
> What exactly were you trying to change?
>
> Also, did you guys do fresh installs or upgrades?
>
> -Eric
>
> Joe Guenther wrote:
> > I also have had massive difficulties getting the DHCP on the latest
> > 5.0.0 to run stable.  I have tried beta 1, 4 and 5. It seemed as though
> > (for some unknown reason to me) that if there was one little mistake or
> > glitch in the dhcp.conf ... there was NO way I could get the dhcp to run
> > after that.  A "simple" reinstall fixed that issue for me a couple of
> > times.  I finally have a beta5 setup working  .... now if only it hold
> > together long enough for me to demo this a major tech get-together on
> > May 19th!!!  The dhcp is suspect in my mind in this latest Fedora 5 ...
> > nothing to prove or substantiate it other than hours of kicking at it to
> > get dhcp to work stable and consistently.
> >
> > Joe Guenther
> >
> > Alan A Hodson wrote:
> >> If I was paying for this product, the title may be appropriate...
> >>
> >> For the life in me, I cannot get this beta version to properly boot
> >> the thin clients (eth0) - the tail commands hangs, and it appears as
> >> though there is no DHCP signal being generated... Took off ALL
> >> security to no avail... is anybody else having this problem? What
> >> should I be looking for?

> >> This part seems OK - now if I could get the clients to boot...
> >> Cheers
> >> Alan Hodson
> >> El Paso ISD, TX
> >> -=o=-