[K12OSN] Stopping web messenger

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 23:04:10 UTC 2006

--- Todd O'Bryan <toddobryan at mac.com> wrote:

> On May 14, 2006, at 9:58 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> > 1)  You don't need a static IP -- you can get a
> > dynamic dns from dyndns.org and run a program on
> your
> > home computer such as ddclient that keeps the name
> > resolved to whatever your current IP address is.
> >
> > 2)  I think it's actually pretty cool that some of
> the
> > kids are figuring this stuff out.  You should get
> > those kids into more computer classes, if you ask
> me.
> > Try to get them to use their skills for good
> instead
> > of evil, so to speak.
> >

> In a way, that's the most annoying thing. They're
> not using their
> skills for evil. They're using them to get to their
> email account, or
> to access a web forum on programming (the district
> blocks all forums
> and wikis as a matter of policy). Heck, I even found
> one guy using
> his home proxy to access wxpython.sourceforge.net so
> he could read
> documentation about a GUI program he was writing.
> (They had blocked
> sourceforge as a "File Sharing" site.) I explained
> that we could
> request they unblock the site and told him to let me
> know when sites
> he needed were blocked instead of taking matters
> into his own hands,
> but I can understand their frustration.
>
> The problem comes in when they stop by MySpace or
> some other
> inappropriate spot on the way to something
> educational.
>
> Todd

Sometimes it's the thrill of getting away with
something that drives people's creativity.  (Kind of
like me running my car on waste cooking oil -- part of
my policy of sticking it to the man).

I guess you just have to enforce punishments for going
to the inappropriate sites and accept the fact that
you can't stop them with technology--you've gotta stop
them with good old fashioned threats!

Good luck!

-Rob