[K12OSN] Outdoor Thin Client (and possibly wireless)

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 22:57:00 UTC 2006

I "weatherized" a set of indoor speakers by covering
up the bass ports with fiberglass windows screen, in
order to keep out bugs and birds when I mounted the
speakers under my deck.  I used silicone to adhere it
to the speaker, and I used fiberglass only because it
was available in black to match the speaker cabinet.
Anyway, you should probably do something similar for
your outdoor thin client.

If it's going to be in a shed-like enclosure, you
probably don't need to do anything else.  Make sure
there's plenty of ventilation, though, especially if
you're using a CRT monitor.

Angus mentioned MythTV.  I use MythTV and it really is
great.  I think it might be overkill for your outdoor
machine, though.  You can set up a computer with a
remote control to control xmms (and I imagine you can
do it on a thin client as well).

I have a similar setup as you in my home.  Thin
clients everywhere, primarily for music.  One cool
trick for parties is you can set up a streaming music
server and have each client play the same streaming
playlist.  This gives you the same "soundtrack" in
every room of your house (you do have a thin client in
every room, don't you?  doesn't everybody?)

-Rob