[K12OSN] No Technology Can Stop These Students

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Thu May 25 20:15:21 UTC 2006

I thought this list might be able to take special pleasure in this email
message I received from a fellow tech friend. The names have been
generalized to protect this innocent.

JSR/

--------------------------

Year end note:

In spite of all the efforts made by the Technology Department to keep
the high school computer system secure, we have failed.  We have created
system policies that force you to periodically change your passwords.
Other system policies require a minimum number of characters in your
password.  We have purchased firewalls and switches with the highest
level of security built into them.  We regularly check system log files
checking for unusual system activity.  We have spent hours setting up
and testing the restrictions we have applied to students so that teacher
files and online grades are secure.

But to my disappointment I have discovered that some students are easily
circumventing our security.  They are able to log onto any computer on
campus and have access to teacher files and faculty Share Data folders.

I know what you are thinking..."with the great Technology Department we
have at the high school I know they will be able to stop this threat."

I am sorry to say that there is no technology available or no amount of
money that can stop these ingenious students.

But, we have identified the student profile of these students that are
able to enter and exit our computer system in stealth mode.

All these students have one thing in common...

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

They have a parent that work here.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR PASSWORD TO YOUR KIDS!

Have a great summer.