[K12OSN] What's coming in edubuntu...report from UDS Mtn View

Kari Matthews karisue at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 03:47:51 UTC 2006

Hey David,

Great post.  Sounds like a cool conference!  I am really looking forward to
Fiesty.

I inherited a Linux server at my school 2 years ago.  I knew nothing about
linux -- now I'm in love.  I just wish I had more time to learn the ins and
outs.

Example:  I posted a couple of days ago about my corrupted LDAP database
that resulted from the school losing electricity.  Well, it was worse than
that.  There must have been some kind of power surge b/c I lost my backups
and essentially have to start over on this server.  I teach math at the
community college a couple nights a week -- I was sad b/c I had to leave
that server today to go to my "other job."  Even though it's down and no one
can login, learning about samba, ldap, and the smbldap script is really
fascinating.  I know I'll figure it all out.  It's addictive.

Linux, when you get into it, is such a cool choice for schools.  I love open
source for schools -- it's great to have a solution that is bullet-proof,
has good support, and is essentially free.  And the more schools participate
in its development, advancement, and use, the more products like Edubuntu
and its community will improve.

I am not a coder, either.  I have never written more than small scripts for
websites and dos bat files and such.  I don't even have a computer
background.  I just wish there was more I could do as a non-developer to
support the linux community, particularly that sub-culture that supports
schools.

~kari
(3-8 religion teacher and sysadmin -- how's THAT for a combination?)