[K12OSN] K12LTSP missing some important stuff for our school purposes

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Nov 1 21:36:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 11:51 -0500, Tom Wolfe wrote:

> I still believe the decision to go or not go with an OS that limits
> student access to information is a philosophical decision.

In most cases the OS doesn't limit anything even it it doesn't
provide it out of the box.  I'd argue that limiting student
exposure to just one OS is more relevant as a philosophical
decisions go.

>  The legal and
> technical issues unfortunately influence the decision of whether to
> implement something like K12LTSP.

You can use the same thin clients as terminals to another OS - at the
same time if you want.

> Right now my decision is going to hinge on whether I can get Firefox to
> work smoothly with sites like http://cbc.ca. I'll give MPlayer a shot
> first. I'll post to the list with the results of my efforts. I've gone
> through this in the past with my personal OS, which is FreeBSD, and I
> recall it was a bit of a chore but I think with Linux it will be easier.

Most places aren't going to have the bandwidth to do internet streaming
video to a roomful of computers at once, thin client or not.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com