[K12OSN] Open Source Grade Book

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 04:11:40 UTC 2006

Hi Bob,

SchoolTool is a bit behind where we wanted to be with our gradebook.
Essentially, our gradebook developer left with no warning this spring,
and as we're trying to do a sophisticated gradebook, it was impossible
to quickly replace him and make our fall deadline.  We've reorganized
and are pressing forward now with two full time developers working
directly with two schools to finally finish and deploy a "complete"
SchoolTool.  Also we're working on an update to the website, which
should be up real soon now.

As Dan Berger might have told you, I live in Rhode Island now, but my
family goes back about 150 years in Huntingdon County including a
couple generations of teachers, so I have some additional inspiration
for helping you with SchoolTool if I can.

Realistically, though, it comes down to what developer capacity you
actually have locally.  SchoolTool is pure Python, and pretty
heavy-duty Python at that.  You'd need to have a good Python hacker on
staff to get SchoolTool customized for your needs by next year (in the
longer run, of course, you won't, but that polish will take a while).
OTOH, Open Admin and Centre are PHP, which is more common.

Anyhow, if you have any particular questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Tom Hoffman
SchoolTool Project Manager