[K12OSN] smb-ldap roaming profiles

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Fri Nov 3 00:47:11 UTC 2006

I'm in the process of testing smb-ldap-installer, and it seems to come
with a roaming profile option for windows clients. LDAP will be used to
authenticate Unix and Linux systems, webapps, and etc, but I'm
contemplating authenticating some or all of the windows boxes across
three academic departments.  I'm trying consolidate some servers and
centralize authentication between the departments, and they currently
all have their own samba served workgroups and domains.

 I have setup smb-ldap in the past from scratch on samba 2.x, but had
trouble with roaming profiles, always some little thing with the default
profile. I'm looking for something easy to setup and maintain, is
smbldap installer right for me, or am I better off rolling my own,
disabling roaming profiles, or using them and only selectively adding
windows boxes to that "domain"?

Any wisdom?

Thanks in advance,
Ben Nickell