[K12OSN] Shared Sessions? - SonicWall

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Mon Nov 6 14:56:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Mel Wade wrote:

> I've run into a unique problem.
>
> I have my K12LTSP setup and authenticating off the AD server.  Whew!
>
> We use a SonicWall firewall and we have it setup to require user login (via
> SonicWall's LDAP connection to the AD).  What happens is that if you go to a
> web site, it redirects to the SonicWall login screen.  Once logged in a
> popup comes up that keeps them authenticated and the main screen moves on to
> the requested site.  When I login as on a LTSP client, it does uses the
> authentication that I had logged into as root on the console...  Not good.
> Does anyone have an idea why this may be happening?

Mel, the problem is not unique at all and what's more, it might well be
called "a feature, not a bug". The terminals are network devices on their
own, but the -applications- run on the server and it is the server that
the SonicWall sees. That is why it is happening.

What to do about it is a question you have not asked, but I'll tray to
answer it anyway: Don't use SonicWall authentication, use SquidGuard
instead and authenticate to the server that runs Squid.
julius