[K12OSN] Using a remote mail server and letting apache have access to it

jones yeates jones.yeates at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 19:35:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

ls -ld /var/spool/clientmqueue resulted in:
drwxrwx--- 2 smmsp smmsp 4096 Nov  7 04:02 /var/spool/clientmqueue

-- so that's good.
-- I tried to include apache as a member of the smmsp group and it still
didn't work.  So I removed apache from the group.

None of the nslookup commands were successful.  I tried it with the server's
short name, full name (including domain name) and ip address.  Results are
shown below.

nslookup SHORTNAME resulted in:
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 10.32.140.1, trying next server
Server:         172.17.6.1
Address:        172.17.6.1#53

** server can't find SHORTNAME: SERVFAIL

nslookup SHORTNAME.DOMAINNAME
Server:         10.32.140.1
Address:        10.32.140.1#53

** server can't find SHORTNAME.DOMAINNAME: NXDOMAIN

nslookup IP.AD.DRE.SS
Server:         172.17.6.1
Address:        172.17.6.1#53

** server can't find 208.129.32.10.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN
--------------------------------
I am not sure if I turned setuid off on sendmail.  I don't know where I can
see if it is set on or off.  It didn't seem to say anything in the
sendmail.cf file or the sendmail.mc file.

I am behind a NAT and I guess I should run a DNS server on this machine?  I
was thinking of just having the server's ip address and name in the server.
I don't understand why it is not accessing /etc/hosts to see a list of
names/ip addresses.

I looked in sendmail.cf and it had this:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
DjSHORTNAME.DOMAINNAME

# this is equivalent to setting class "t"
Ft/etc/mail/trusted-users
Troot
Tdaemon
Tuucp