[K12OSN] So close....

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 20:01:03 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> Depends on what you want upgrade.  Hard drives are all the same; memory can be tricky
> sometimes.

If you're looking to upgrade Dell memory, Crucial.com is probably a
safe bet. Their RAM is typically a little more expensive than other
brands, but they're generally considered best by the people I trust
(Robert Bruce Thompson, Jerry Pournelle).

As anecdotal evidence, I present a RAM review I saw a couple of years
ago. The publication doing the review was benchmarking a number of
brands of RAM (10? 15?) in a number of Athlon motherboards, and a few
of the systems wouldn't boot up with some brands of RAM.

Only _one_ brand worked in every motherboard - Crucial.  So when I put
together a system, I figure it reduces the headache potential if I use
Crucial RAM exclusively.

Calvin