[K12OSN] Some trouble with flash apps

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Nov 17 15:54:37 UTC 2006

"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>That server is connecting to the switch at 10/100 speeds not 10/100/1000
>... so you are maxing out at 1 ;) 2 going full bore will slow
>considerably...as it is 140 which is a bit over the 100 ... sorry...need
>a Gig-E port on that switch... checkout the amer.com  SR24G2 I think I
>got the model right.
>
>--Huck

Yes...the model is right  SR24G2....it is a 26 port switch....24 of them
are 100baseT and 2 of them are gigabit...since it's integrated in the same
switch....you come out of the server from the gigabit card to a gigabit
port and then feed the 100baseT side.  I have several SR24G2's on my
network and they work like a charm.  The price is VERY reasonable.  Flash
will cause lots of issues with your CPU, but it shouldn't be as slow as
you've described.  I'm able to have my entire lab on Flash web sites and
it's acceptable.  You can do some experiments to see where the bottleneck
is.  One idea is to hook your clients directly into the gigabit
switch....make sure they negotiate down to 100 base T though...some
switches won't do that.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School