[K12OSN] Thin Clients Not booting

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Nov 22 04:47:56 UTC 2006

John Lucas wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 16:50, Derek Jaques wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>     Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.  I purchased (30) 6030p thin
>> clients from DevonIT.  I am currently working with DevonIT to attempt to
>> fix the problem, but we seem to be a little stumped.  They had me flash
>> the bios to an older version, but that has not seemed to do anything.  I
>> get a TFTP time out error.  Here is the message the client gives me:
>>

>> Client MAC ADDR: 00 14 85 DE B3 9F   GUID:FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF
>> Client IP: 10.37.5.157   MASK: 255.255.0.0 DHCP IP: 198.236.71.35
>>  Gateway IP: 10.37.1.1
>>  PXE-E32: TFTP open time out
>>  TFTP...
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>

> Your clients are on net 10.37 but your server is on 198.236.71. This means
> there is a router in between. How many hops in between (what kind of latency
> is involved)?

Two hops between 198.236.71.x & 10.37.x.x, 0.527 ms latency. If I
remember correctly, the fiber run is 50 miles between the two ;-)

 > Are there any other clients that are working with the same
> information (routes etc.)?

All the other terminals were working fine.

 > I assume that the tftp server is the same as the
> dhcp server or that the "next server" value is set.

The problem turned out to be that the PXE firmware was ignoring the
"next-server" option, as such it was trying to fetch pxelinux.0 from the
DHCP server rather than the LTSP server (centralized DHCP server on my
network, the LTSP server is on Derek's network)

I just copied over Derek's /tftpboot/lts/pxe to my DHCP server & turned
on TFTP. Quick and dirty fix until the vendor sends him a patch ;-)

-Eric