[K12OSN] Can send, but not receive, emails from clients

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Thu Nov 23 08:24:12 UTC 2006

>Message: 18
>Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 06:52:51 -0600 (CST)
>From: cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
>Subject: [K12OSN] Can send, but not receive, emails from clients
>To: k12osn at redhat.com
>
>catl,
>
>Forgot to mention. try using your ISP's <outgoing> server address in
>TBird. NOT your own email server.
>EG: " smtp . myispmailserver . net ". This should not effect your incoming
>mail,,though.lots of national isp's are blocking port 25 but usually this
>is outgoing port. DO you have this currently configured this way in TBird?
>You can setup Smart Host- directive via M4 config file in sendmail easily
>if this is the case. this let's your smtp server "pipe" your mail through
>their mailserver into,out of your mail server.
>
>Barry

Hey Barry,

Thanks for the ideas of things to try.  I guess I forgot to mention that
this is a straight to the ISP connection.  I've set up my account on the
thin client exactly like I would/did on my Win2K box.  I have sendmail
running so that I get nightly emails from my server, but I'm not
[intentionally] doing trying to set up this email through the server's
actual sendmail.  Do Thunderbird/evolution et al need an underlying mail
transport engine on the K12LTSP server to do their business?

ck