[K12OSN] Impress oo.o 2 files not saving

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 19:46:36 UTC 2006

On 29/11/06, Graham <yorick at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> If you are using a distro modified version and update from a YUM
> repository or
> via apt-get, then you need to change shortcuts to executables. Versions
> sourced from OOo downloads install into the /opt directory, for some
> reason
> some distros change this. They also change the executables. for instance
> Mandrake, SuSE and I think RedHat use "ooowriter". The same in OOo sourced
> version is "swriter".

How do I change the shortcuts for all users on a multiuser system like
K12LTSP. I have about 80 users to update.

> > > I thought if I update OO.o from version 2.0.2 to 2.0.4 that might
> help.
> > > How do I do that without updating other programs?

OOo is a monolithic code base. Unlike MSO, it is not separate programes, it

> I meant using yum to update all of OO.o but not firefox, tuxpaint etc.

User settings in the /home/~username/.openoffice.org2 will remain intact.
> However some distros use a different home directory
> like /home/~username/.ooo-2.0 or similar.

openoffice.org2.0 in my system. I see that in March I actually did a manual
install of OO.o 2 without uninstalling OO.o 1.1 Since I updated to K12LTSP 5
(Fedora Core 5) I now have two settings directories .openoffice.org2.0 and
.openoffice.org2

An OOo sourced install will create a /home/~username/.openoffice.org2
> directory, (without affecting the other) as soon as a user launches the
> programme. This starts the whole new user registration thing which can be
> somewhat annoying and cause a little trepidation amongst newbies, but as
> long
> as they're prepared for it, it shouldn't be an issue. However in your case
> it will prove if the problem is in the user directiories or settings if
> you're using a non-OOo sourced version

Or it could be that the updated version fixed the problem? That is if the
problem is fixed. Here's hoping!