[K12OSN] Print Management for K12LTSP

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 10:23:21 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 04:42, Martin Woolley wrote:

> Pykota is not that difficult to implement.  There is a dependancy issue,
> which is not (IMHO) covered well in Jerome Alets documentation.  These are
> covered in my install log here http://www.openhgs.org.uk/it.cgi/PyKota.  I
> have recently upgraded our site to the latest version and there are more
> dependancy issues, which are detailed in the update log
> www.openhgs.org.uk/it.cgi/Skinner (the final section).
>
> We have seen a significant drop in paper usage since I implemented PyKota,
> almost 2 years ago.
>
> A recent posting to the PyKota mailing list, RPMS will be available soon
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.printing.pykota.user/4374/match=rpms
>
> You can also use the standard CUPS printer quota facility to limit the
> number of pages printed.  For example, the command :
> lpadmin -p colour20 -o job-quota-period=86400 -o job-page-limit=5
> limits every user to 5 pages per day on printer colour20.  However, you
> cannot control individual users or groups of users using these CUPS
> features (AFAIK), so PyKota is a far superior solution.

Actually you *can* get limited control of individual users and group printing
using CUPS. In the KDE "Control Center" under Peripherals/Printers/Properties
you can set quotas and set user access to queues. By creating multiple queues
with different quotas, then assigning access to each queue though group
access, you can have a useful measure of control. It may not be as slick as
Pykota, but it's already there if you have KDE installed.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |