[K12OSN] nics fail to start at bootup

cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Wed Nov 29 12:36:21 UTC 2006

Hello List,

After upgrading one of our servers from v. 4.2 to 5.0 the two network
cards fail to start at bootup. Its not a big deal but,also the login
screen i get " Default Gnome session.xml not found"at the server
console.The login box is also garbled.But clients boot perfectly. I can be
presented by xdmcp with a choice of servers to  log into,,but beings the
nic(s) did not initialize i cant "see" any servers. I have to drop to a
shell and do a ifup eth0 and ifup eth1,then life is good again, In the
network /etc/init.d/network everything is same as a working init script as
i checked this through Meld,with a working nic setup. Also the
/etc/sysconfig/networking *.conf files all look correct comparing to a
working *.conf file from another server.
Also the checkmarks are showing in the network gui,,that the nics are to
start at bootup. Of course i've never had any trouble like this doing a
fresh install of any version of k12ltsp. Seems its an upgrade thing,and im
not sure what got hammered to fix it.
Anyone,any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry Cisna