[K12OSN] Alps touch pad on a laptop

I have an Inspiron 6000 that has an Alps touch pad mouse.  The tap and
scroll features are activated when the terminal is started.  I have a
limited mobility student who uses the laptop from time to time who has
shakey hands and the tap and scroll features are a problem.

How do I go about turning the tap and scroll features off?

Thanks in advance
Pat