Re: [K12OSN] LTSP and virtualization

On 10/4/06, Rob Owens <hick518 yahoo com> wrote:
One thought I had was to set up an LTSP server that
uses VMware or Qemu to run Windows 2000 on Linux.  (I
have enough Windows licenses to cover all the
potential users).  Would this work?  Would my server
load running 10 instances of virtualized Win2k be 10x
the load of running just one?  Or would I benefit from
the sharing of memory, processes, etc?  Would I need
to load 10 separate Windows images on the server, or
just one?

I'm currently running VMware (much faster and easier than Qemu/kQemu)
on a Ubuntu machine.  I can tell you right now that you will NOT
benefit from the sharing of processes; you can benefit SOME from the
sharing of memory (although it's a speed tradeoff); and you would, in
fact, need to load 10 separate Windows images on the server.

This is probably not a cost-effective solution for you, because these
virtualization / emulation solutions pretend to be an ENTIRE PC, right
down to the hardware level.

To adequately run 10 copies of Win2k on a server, let's say at 256MB
of memory per virtual machine, you'd need about 3 GB of RAM.  Add in
the further requirements for the LTSP side (including the thin
clients) plus all the private networking traffic, and a hard drive
image for each virtual machine and you're talking about a sizeable
server investment.

I have no experience with the Windows Terminal Server end, but I
understand it's pretty easy to accomplish; since an LTSP server to
support only 10 users is fairly cheap to build, this may actually be
the most cost-effective option.