[K12OSN] Bringing /home over from previous k12ltsp server

Hi Folks,

I'm setting up a brand new k12ltsp server to replace my previous one. What's the best way to bring the /home directory over so that people's work in tuxpaint, mail messages, open office docs, game settings, etc. get brought over, but I still update/upgrade all the conf files and stuff that are in people's /home directories. I was just going to install k12ltsp, then rsync over the old /home into the new /home from the old server to the new, but that doesn't seem like it quite cuts it. Like that would overwrite identical files fairly randomly, wouldn't it?

Can someone recommend a workflow for this?

ck