[K12OSN] Advocacy: barriers to adoption (was LTSP presentation to Ed tech

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 18:36:24 UTC 2006

On 10/12/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/06, Joe Guenther <jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca> wrote:
> >
> > I really agree with David Trask...  My presentation is not full of FOSS
> evangelism.  That is NOT why I use an open source solution. I use it because
> it works the best.  What OTHER solution is there to use old iMacs as thin
> clients?  you tell me!  We could setup a Windows terminal server, as
> suggested by our School Division Director of IT, but then we would have to
> buy clients.  We use this solution because it works with our existing
> workstations.  AND because it is economical to "license"  AND it does all we
> need it to do.
>
> I agree with David also. However, when it's already implemented by someone
> like yourself the higher ups are happy and supportive. But when they are
> faced with the decision to implement it from the top down (not from the
> bottom up as it is most of the time) then they become much more interested
> in the license. It's been my experience that this is when they get cold feet
> because they don't completely understand (believe in) FOSS. However, I
> completely agree that the limited time you have to present should be spent
> on demonstrating the software not FOSS evengelism. But at some point in the
> future the concept of FOSS is going to come up if they want to offer it as
> an option to schools.

Right.  Experience seems to show that leading with a very simple,
hands on, practical approach is best for getting one's foot in the
door, but also a second wave of more sophisticated FOSS advocacy is
necessary.  I've tried to address this in a proposal I just sumbitted
to NECC, and perhaps might try to make at more regional conferences
next year.

My proposal:  http://tuttlesvc.teacherhosting.com/wordpress/?p=201

Also, I know this is a FAQ, but I can't find the FAQ: how do I set up
iMacs as thin clients?

--Tom

--Tom