Re: [K12OSN] Advocacy: barriers to adoption (was LTSP presentation to Ed tech

On 10/12/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:

On 10/11/06, Joe Guenther <jguenther chinooksedge ab ca> wrote:

> I really agree with David Trask...  My presentation is not full of FOSS
evangelism.  That is NOT why I use an open source solution. I use it because
it works the best.  What OTHER solution is there to use old iMacs as thin
clients?  you tell me!  We could setup a Windows terminal server, as
suggested by our School Division Director of IT, but then we would have to
buy clients.  We use this solution because it works with our existing
workstations.  AND because it is economical to "license"  AND it does all we
need it to do.

I agree with David also. However, when it's already implemented by someone
like yourself the higher ups are happy and supportive. But when they are
faced with the decision to implement it from the top down (not from the
bottom up as it is most of the time) then they become much more interested
in the license. It's been my experience that this is when they get cold feet
because they don't completely understand (believe in) FOSS. However, I
completely agree that the limited time you have to present should be spent
on demonstrating the software not FOSS evengelism. But at some point in the
future the concept of FOSS is going to come up if they want to offer it as
an option to schools.

Right.  Experience seems to show that leading with a very simple,
hands on, practical approach is best for getting one's foot in the
door, but also a second wave of more sophisticated FOSS advocacy is
necessary.  I've tried to address this in a proposal I just sumbitted
to NECC, and perhaps might try to make at more regional conferences
next year.

My proposal:  http://tuttlesvc.teacherhosting.com/wordpress/?p=201

Also, I know this is a FAQ, but I can't find the FAQ: how do I set up
iMacs as thin clients?

--Tom

--Tom