Re: [K12OSN] Hard lockup

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 17:55 -0600, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On 10/12/06, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
> > I'm running a new install of 64-bit v5 onto many (many!) dual chip, dual
> > core Opteron machines. Installed from disks and ran the yum update
> > (804MB later...). Then set about to get the clients up.
>
> Ahhh ... which kernel is that?  2.6.17-1.2187?  I've had lockups with
> that kernel on 5 out of the 6 Athlon64 systems I manage - typically
> about 30-60 seconds after a login screen appears. Booting to text
> screen and/or disabling APIC make no difference.
>
> Try booting to the older kernel to see if the problem persists. If
> you're worried about kernel exploits, you might try the latest kernel
> from the FC6 stuff.

We will be backing down to a prior setup today. We could keep the server
up all day long with no problem. But as soon as a thin client tried to
start X, BAM!, down it goes. I'm thinking it's an xorg issue but don't
have the time to fully dig into it. We were supposed to be done with
this school install two days ago and at this point we have barely begun.